Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Striking a Deal

"You're his little Peach then that he keeps asking about?"

"Is he okay?"

"He's alive. And that's all you need to know."

"My mother won't do anything, so I've come. I need my dad back."

"How heartwarming! So far we have honored his request not to hurt any of his family and yet, you come right to us. How ironic."

"Like I said, I'll tell you where Ector Preux is if you release my dad."

"Sounds like your terms are quite firmly in place. But, how do I know what you say is true and not made up just to set your father free? I mean, you are just a little girl after all, who would privilege you with such important information?"

"I heard my great aunt talking with my mother. I was outside. A window was open. They didn't know I was listening."

Even Peach thought what she was saying sounded false.

"Your great aunt..." Roil tapped his chin. "You mean Ector's sister?"

"Yes."

"My goodness, that woman cannot be trusted. She's insane! Why should I believe even a word she has to say, especially coming secondhand from a little thing like you? What if I release your father and what you say turns out to be nonsense, which I suspect it probably is. I'll end up on just another wild goose chase, and I'm beginning to have my fill of those."

Peach looked to Thort and Tubble who anticipated her response with bated breath.

"Please, let me just see my father and I will tell you."

"You sound like a girl desperate enough to make things up, right to the face of I, Roil Nefarious."

Roil began pacing the room exactly as he had everyday for the past week while the search for Ector Preux grew larger and longer, and as he started to feel more and more defeated.

"He's in America," said Peach at last.

"Where in America?"

"Let me see my father."

Roil threw his hands up in the air.

"What makes your loony aunt think Ector went there of all places?"

"Because that's where he sent his son all those many years ago."

Roil Nefarious stopped dead in his tracks.

No comments: