Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Great News

Her father disappeared as she tried to take in the massive room before her. Not only was it huge, but its walls, from end to end were covered in dark oil paintings of every Nefarious wizard over the past 1,000 years.

"What have you two brought me?" asked Roil since Peach would not answer him.

"She says she knows where we can find old Ector," Thort answered for her.

"She what?" thundered Roil.

"She says she knows-"

"Yes yes, I heard what you said. What did she say exactly?"

"I was standing guard outside of Polonius's and she comes dawdling up and says, 'I know where Ector Preux is.' I couldn't believe my own ears."

"She used his last name?"

"Yes she did."

"Come, girl," said Roil, suddenly kindly, and he stood up. He was an unusually tall man at almost seven feet. His shoulders were hunched and neck arched as he was forced to look down on most people most of the time, except for his guards whom he motioned to step aside as he approached Peach. He placed a long, spider-like arm around her shoulder. "Be calm, child. I don't scare you that much, do I?"

She was not scared. Instead, she began seeing two of him again and her dad once more. His bruised, cut face flashed across her mind's eye with alarming clarity. She couldn't understand what he might have done wrong. This all happened months before they wanted Ector.

"I'll tell you where Ector is if you let my dad go."

Roil leaned back and smiled until eventually, he was beaming.

No comments: