Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Back Out of the Trash Bag

"This weird guy on the bus just started talking to me out of the blue. He wanted to know if I ever went anywhere just to go. It was strange. He said he was doing just that."

"Sounds like a real nut. He didn't follow you here did he?" She looks around her husband towards the front door.

"He stayed on when I got off. He really got me thinking though you know? My life lacks any type of spontaneity."

"So you want a divorce?"

"I think maybe we should. What do you think?"

"I think you're right. It would probably be for the best."

"Will you ever get married again?"

"I'm not sure. I might."

"Kids? No more kids?"

"Probably not, but never say never, right?"

"I don't want a divorce actually."

"Oh, I'm so glad you said that. Me neither. I wanted to tell you about my day today. I went to that old section of town by all those small shops, you know where the magic shop is and that great, old-fashioned Italian restaurant, and when I was passing by the magic shop, I decided I was going to quit my job and become a volunteer for Al Gore's global warming campaign."

"You did? Wow, I'm speechless."

"Do you mind being the sole breadwinner?"

"No, not at all."

Later that night, she took out and reorganized all the photos she had placed in a large trash bag weeks ago, happy now she waited before throwing them out.

No comments: